In this section, we will look at how to use the basic features of Opera to browse the web. If you are already familiar with the basic features, skip to Increasing your browsing speed.
Select the arrow to view each topic below, or select the Expand All button to view all topics at once.
Bookmarks are saved links to webpages you wish to return to again.
To quickly save the page, click the star that appears to the right of the address field and select Add to Bookmarks. If you want to view the page on your phone with Opera Mini, click the drop-down arrow and select Opera; this folder is used by Opera Mini to save bookmarks.
To save the page and choose other options, such as using a different folder or assigning a nickname, follow these steps:
- Display the page in the active tab, and from the menu, select . The bookmark dialog displays.
- If you want to save the bookmark in a folder, select one. If you want to save the bookmark in a new folder, select New Folder to create one.
- Assign a nickname for the bookmark, if you want one. Using a nickname is a quick way to load the page; just type the nickname in the address field. To assign a nickname, select the Details button. Type a short nickname that is easy for you to remember and select OK.
- Select OK.
You can also import your bookmarks (saved favorite sites) from other browsers. For more details, see the Import bookmarks and other data topic.
Apart from reading the text and viewing graphics, images, or videos on a page, there are a few other features you can use to improve your browsing experience. The following topics explain some of these features.
Links on a page usually show as underlined text in a different color to the text on the rest of the page. When you select a link, by either clicking with your mouse or selecting with your keyboard, another webpage displays. In Opera, there are a few other options provided in a context menu.
- Open a link in a new tab and display that tab — Right-click the link and select Open in New Tab.
- Open a link in a new tab but keep displaying the page you are viewing — Right-click the link and select Open in Background Tab.
- Save a bookmark of the link address — Right-click the link and select Bookmark link.
- Keep the current list of links in the Links panel when you display another page — Select the Lock button. Select this button again to remove the lock.
Select text and options
You can select text to copy and paste into a document or notes, or complete a search. To select text:
- Highlight the text using your mouse or keyboard
- Double-click with your mouse to select a word
- Triple-click to select a full sentence
- Click four times to select an entire paragraph
Options for selected text
When you right-click any selected text, the text context menu displays, providing the following options:
- Copy — This copies the selected text.
- Copy to Note — This copies the text directly into a note.
- Search — This searches for the word or phrase in the web using the default search engine.
- Search with — This searches for the word or phrase with a chosen search engine.
- Dictionary — This searches for the word or phrase in the Mirriam-Webster dictionary.
- Encyclopedia — This searches for the word or phrase in Wikipedia.
- Translate — This translates the word or phrase (limited selection of translations available).
- Send by Mail — This automatically composeses an email message using the text.
When you right-click a part of a webpage where there are no links, images, or forms, the page context menu displays, which includes the following options:
- Reload Every — This allows you to set an automatic reload frequency, which is very useful for sites with constantly changing content, such as news sites.
- Copy address — This copies the website address so that you can paste it into a document or note.
- Send Link by Mail — This automatically composes an email message with the address of the current page.
For more information about options for viewing webpages, see the View button section of the status bar topic.
Support for web cameras
When you visit a website that offers web services for video cameras, such as photo applications and face tracking, the site will need to connect to the webcam on your computer. Opera displays a dialog connected to the address bar badge, and asks to you to allow or deny access to your webcam. See more in Opera Help — Camera Settings
Geolocation with Opera
To help you find your way around a new area, or find services where you are, some websites may ask if they can identify your location. For example, you may want to see where you are on a map, or find a nearby restaurant. This is called geolocation technology and Opera's geolocation feature works with the help of Google Location Services (GLS). To ensure your privacy, you have full control over when this feature is used.
The first time you go to a website that requests geolocation information, GLS' terms and conditions display. If you agree to them, the service is activated and your location information is sent. Then, every time a website requests geolocation information, Opera will display a prompt and you can decide if you want to send your location data, or not send it.
For more details, see Opera Help — Geolocation.
Print from the web
If your system is correctly configured and connected to a printer and you want to print a webpage, right-click the page and select Print, or from the menu, go to . To see how a webpage will appear when printed, select .
Page 3 of 5
Next page: Increasing your browsing speed
Opera Mini is predominantly a mobile device web browser app. Developed by Opera Software, this is the Opera browser's little brother, but it has quickly gained an excellent reputation thanks to the enhanced web browsing speed, helped by its multiple shortcuts and a well organize address bar. Opera Mini is completely free and works well along side other Opera products such as Opera Mail, while functioning extremely well on any device where you have installed it.
In 2013, Opera reported it had 300 million Opera Mini unique users all over the world, placing it up there with Android, IOS and Windows browsers. Thanks to its unique features and smooth performance, Opera Mini has become a great option for all of you who need a faster web browser or who have problems finding space for apps. The best news is that it has a freeware license, it is very easy to install, and once installed you can immediately start using it.
How to use
Once you install Opera Mini, you will notice how user-friendly it is. The interface is very intuitive and is full of shortcuts to improve your internet surfing experience. As we said before, Opera Mini enhances browsing speed; it does this by accessing websites through Opera servers. That process pre-compresses the information before you receive it, so our devices just loads the minimum amount of data required, speeding up the loading time by a factor of three, while to further speed up loading times, it is possible to set the image resolution quality between “Low”, “Medium” or “High”.
The web browser with a speed you won't expect, and functionality you will love
Thanks to the cross-platform support, it is possible to synchronize your data whenever you need it, so now it is possible to continue working with the same information on your PC, tablet or smartphone with Opera Mini, with no loss of information. Manage and organize your favorite links and to help you keep track of useful websites, you can simply and easily capture every website with just a click, while downloads are also also easy to control and can be paused and resumed whenever we want.
Opera Mini is suitable for iOS, BlackBerry, Sumbian, J2ME and Windows when using this latest version, while Opera is working on a new release called Opera “ICE” that will increase the speed of the browser's principal functions by seven times. Opera Mini is a good option as a principal internet browser on your devices, particularly for those of you with space problems or bad data connections. The latest app version is available online and, as mentioned, has a freeware license.
Opera Mini 14.0.0 Features
Check out the latest features of Opera Mini:
- Modern and stylish layout
- Search and surf on the net more easily than with other browsers
- Multiple language support
- Retain browsing records for later review
- Multiplatform synchronization
- Quick access to your favorite content
- Improve slow connection navigation
- Compatible with Opera next and Opera Mail
For more information about Opera Mini before downloading it, check out the developer’s website .
Before downloading Opera Mini, please check the following minimum system requirements:
- Phone system: iPhone, Blackberry and Palm
- RAM: 256 MB
- Hard Drive space: 30MB free HDD space
- Internet connection
- Totally free
- One of the most powerful browsers for any device
- Is customizable and packed with plenty of options
- It only supports Google search on the quick search bar